Friday, March 07, 2008

Tricking, and me.

This is a post about tricking and me (Devon).
I'm not sure when it started to get like this for me, but I realize I've been setting myself for a pretty gruesome crash n' burn for quite a while now.
Basically, I've been tricking for all the wrong reasons. There's a reason I started and there's a reason I want to continue to do it (for more or less the rest of my life), and I've gone astray from that.

I've been motivated mostly by anger and dislike of the way other people are doing things. My view of the tricking community became contorted in many ways;
I'm pretty much going to say I expect that in the future my best friends are going to be trickers (they already are), but given the growing diversity of people who trick, I was growing concerned about a few things: One of which is the pretty much all-around fact that everyone's chasing validation from the "well-knowns" and not really from those at their same level or with their same mindset. There is no "top" and "bottom" in this sport, it's just too complex. However, there is a system in effect (although I think it's flawed and dysfunctional like a car made entirely out of cheddar cheese).

A problem arose for me, and I think the reason it affected me so much was because I'm still trying to figure out how to live without getting pissed off really easily:
I have always found it pretty easy to ignore (or shut down, depending on how i'm feeling) the occasional portentous bastard that I encounter, (mostly because I've been smarter and better than them :P) but for the first time I've been unable to shake off these annoying oafs that think they're all that, and in this I ran into a big conflict within myself. I'm obviously not really one to stand for all the arrogance that's arose recently, but I'm also not going to take it too seriously anymore. Thinking about all that was getting in the way of my training and creativity.


I know other people read this (i.e. not FF) and to you I say: don't really pay this mind much, just expect to see both some experimental stuff and some perfectionist stuff from me from now on. I'm also becoming aware of the reason I get pissed off by portentous people is that I, myself might be portentous, and here is where I'm trying to find an answer: I'm looking for what I truly want out of this, and I'm going to be doing a lot of experimenting to find out what I'm capable of, and what I should do with that.

So yeah that's probably pretty long but that's what I've been thinking about this week.
I'm busy today (Saturday), but I'm pretty sure I'll train on Sunday for a little while at WCG- I need a relaxed session.

A few other things: I made my own edit of that video I didn't like and it came out nicely.
\\and//
I'm going on a bit of a road trip with my father in a week, so if I don't see everyone before then, good luck. I'll be training hard for that two weeks that I'll be going south (grassssssss!)
//and\\
I still think gainer switches are silly bones, though. Replace them hos with Flick-Flacks.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:11 AM

    i hope everything works out for you devon. keep tricking. you are awesome

    ReplyDelete